I have begun working on Personalized Name Blocks for children and have found that I love painting on this new surface. It breaks up the redundancy of working on paper. Immediately as I began working on the Name Blocks other ideas began to take root in my mind. One of those ideas is a set of Family Tree Blocks. I am in the process of trying out this idea- the blocks below are not yet completed.
I love love love trees. I love the organic lines, the movement, the beautiful simplicity. I couldn't wait to paint the tree, but I found that after painting the tree on the blocks, I hit a roadblock of questions.
- Will I include just first names of family members? Full names? What about other info, like maiden names, birthdate, birthplace, etc?
- If I include all of this information, how will I make the text look neat? Could I really handpaint it or will I have to look into some other methods?
- Are these more suitable for children or adults?
- Can they be used as toy for children? If so, how can I make them safe?
- Wouldn't it be cool if they can be displayed in other ways? For instance, I could decoupage a photo of each family member on the back of their block. So the tree could be displayed as pictured, or as a set of photo blocks of family members.
- Would people really want to buy these?